According to Garcia y Garcia Region VII, Insula VI was one of the insulae most devastated over the years since its excavation.
He calls it the “Cinderella” of Pompeii. Between the years 1759 and 1762 it was vandalised and stripped by the Bourbons, then re-interred.
Then came the slow and non-systematic uncovering again before the final destruction in September 1943.
The area was ignored and abandoned during the years following the war, which reduced the insula to a heap of bricks and masonry.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.102).
VII.6.11 Pompeii. December 2004. Looking south from entrance.
This area was affected by the bombing in September 1943.
A photograph of the area can be seen showing the same brick pilaster, about the only thing left standing in the area after the bombing.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.104, Fig 233 (Foto SAP neg. no.176)
The entrance corridor of VII.6.11 can be seen on the right of the photo, leading into the atrium.
The brick pilaster can again be seen in the lower right of the photo.