VII.5.17 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking north-east towards site of entrance doorway.
According to Garcia y Garcia, all of the south-west corner and southern part of the insula were transformed in the time of Maiuri.
Then the area was hit during the first bombing incursion during the early evening (17.00hrs) of 13th September 1943.
All of the old structures that remained have been modified again to provide a restaurant, toilets and sales area.
The modifications included closing and bricking up of the old doorways to VII.5.14, 15, 16 and 17.
Entrances at VII.5.18, 19 and 20 now provide the doorways to the modern restaurant.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.101-3).
According to Della Corte, an electoral recommendation was found on the left pilaster of the entrance doorway.
?....nnius caupo rog(at) [CIL IV 537]
According to Fiorelli, this doorway led to a caupona which would seem to have been proved by the painted recommendation found near to the entrance –
caupo rog [CIL IV 537]
According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de), it read -
ae[d(ilum?) o(ro) v(os) f(aciatis)]
[...]nnius caupo rog(at) [CIL IV 537]
Also found here was the counter. In the interior there was a kitchen, and at the rear of that was a windowed triclinium.
See Pappalardo, U., 2001. La Descrizione di Pompei per Giuseppe Fiorelli (1875). Napoli: Massa Editore. (p.96)
According to Eschebach, the two-sided counter had 5 dolia set into it.
See Eschebach, L., 1993. Gebäudeverzeichnis und Stadtplan der antiken Stadt Pompeji. Köln: Böhlau.(p.289)
VII.5.17 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking north-east towards end of Insula wall