Front street wall, with painted plaster on west side of Vicolo di Lucrezio Frontone.
According to Cooley, the following graffito was found -
I beg you to elect Cn. Helvius Sabinus and M. Samellius Modestus aediles, worthy of public office. [CIL IV 6616]
See Cooley, A. and M.G.L., 2004. Pompeii : A Sourcebook. London : Routledge. (p.124, F70)
According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) it read –
Cn(aeum) Helvium Sabinum
M(arcum) Samellium Modestum
aed(iles) d(ignos) r(ei) p(ublicae) o(ro) v(os) f(aciatis) [CIL IV 6616]
Front street wall, with painted plaster on the west side of Vicolo di Lucrezio Frontone.
Front street wall, with painted red plaster, some of it fallen on the pavement on the west side of Vicolo di Lucrezio Frontone.
The stone benches on either side of the doorway were also covered in red plaster.
These were described as being “so well preserved that one would say they had not been used at all”.
The pavement of the street was unpaved when excavated, and supported by rectangular blocks of Sarno stone.
According to NdS, whilst clearing the pavement portion, an inscription in white stones was found embedded in the floor.
The inscription read HAVETIS INTRO and was decorated below with plant motifs and white stones surrounding a rectangular slab of African marble.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1902, (p.274 and p.369)
According to NdS, the entrance threshold was made of lava.
The door was formed of double shutters, but only the right iron door hinge remained.
In the door jambs were two rectangular recesses in which were placed the cross-bar to secure the door.
The walls of the entrance corridor were painted in black.
On the dado were painted plants with large leaves.
The large upper panels of the wall were also black, divided by yellow bands, and contained paintings of animals, masks, and landscapes.
A graffito of a ship was seen on the left wall, above it one could see white, red and yellow banding placed vertically.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1902, (p.369)
Looking west from entrance, towards atrium and tablinum.
According to NdS, between the entrance corridor and the atrium was another door, of which only the iron hinges remained.
The doorjambs imitated a sort of very coarse yellow marble with red veins and white spots.
The impluvium did not match exactly the central axis between the doorway and the large room at the rear, but seemed somewhat shifted northwards.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1902, (p.369-70)
According to NdS, the floor of the impluvium consisted of fragments of marble slabs of different colours.
The border, 10cm tall, had a first facing of red plaster which had then been recovered by a second facing, which had been left unfinished.
A small square brick pilaster was joined in a manner to form a table, also in masonry.
The tube that carried the water to the statuette that was on the table, ran up the pilaster.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1902 (p.370)
According to NdS, eight doorways opened into the atrium.
The doorjambs of these were simply decorated with a dado in the manner of variegated marble, and with black panels above painted with flying swans and griffins.
Only the two doorjambs of the tablinum were decorated more richly with golden candelabra, but only the foundations and part of the stem remained.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1902 (p.370)
According to NdS, this small room was poorly decorated with a high dado and yellow panels above, separated by bands imitating marble (il marmo lumachella).
In this room many notable finds were made.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1902, (p.274-5 and 370-71)
According to Boyce, in the small room to the left of the entrance corridor were found the contents of a chest which had been destroyed.
Many pieces of jewellery and 3 bronze statuettes were found.
Two of the statuettes represented Harpocrates wearing the lotus flower upon his forehead and holding the index finger of his right hand to his lips.
The third statuette was of Venus Anadyomene.
See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (Appendix 1, Item 2, p. 108)
See Not. Scavi, 1902, 370.
Doorway to triclinium, in south-east corner of atrium.
According to NdS, this large room was decorated with a yellow dado separated by bands of imitation variegated marble.
In each of the upper panels was a small bronze-coloured painted figurine, sphinx, griffin, peacock, or harpy.
In two places the walls were irregularly holed, as occurred many times by those fleeing the eruption or by searchers in the buried city.
For these holes in the walls, a system had now been adopted.
If they did not compromise the stability of the wall, they were left as they were, facing only the edges with cement.
In the opposite case, they would be blocked up, inserting a marble slab engraved with the year of restoration.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1902, (p.371)
According to Bragantini, the dado was black, and the middle zone was yellow with panels.
See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1983. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 2. Rome: ICCD. (p.79, ambiente (C))
When excavated, the pilaster between the doorways was seen to show an imitation marble dado, and the middle zone was black with panels.
See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1983. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 2. Rome: ICCD. (p.79, atrium (A))
In 1902, the kitchen and latrine were not yet fully excavated.
On the right would be the tablinum, which did not have a corridor on either of its sides.
According to NdS, on the left of the tablinum would have been a cubiculum.
This room faced into the kitchen and the garden, and was decorated with red and yellow panels with painted birds in the panels.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1902, (p.372)