PompeiiinPictures

HGE37 Pompeii. Herculaneum Gate East Side. Tomb of the Allei.

Tomb of M. Alleius Luccius Libella and M. Alleius Libella.

Excavated 1813. (Eschebach East 37, Kockel Nord 37).

Tomb 36 and Tomb 37 are often confused.

 

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Tomb south and east sides with plaques.

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Tomb south and east sides with plaques.

 

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Marble plaque on east side. On the plaque is the inscription:
M. ALLEIO LVCCIO LIBELLAE PATRI 
AEDILI II VIR PRAEFECTO QVINQ(uennali) ET 
M. ALLEIO LIBELLAE F DECVRIONI VIXIT 
ANNIS XVII LOCVS MONVMENTI
PVBLICE DATVS EST ALLEIA M F 
DECIMILLA SACERDOS PVBLICA 
CERERIS FACIVNDVM CVRAVIT VIRO 
ET FILO

This differs from the south side plaque where the last word is FILIO rather than FILO.
The plaque is also narrower and the inscription is on more (eight) lines.
According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) this reads

M(arco) Alleio Luccio Libellae patri
aedili IIvir(o) praefecto quinq(uennali) et 
M(arco) Alleio Libellae f(ilio) decurioni vixit 
annis XVII locus monumenti
publice datus est Alleia M(arci) f(ilia)
Decimilla sacerdos publica
Cereris faciundum curavit viro
et filio      [CIL X 1036 second part]

Gell describes this as “A well-executed tomb, in stone, of simple form, about 15 feet high. 
Upon two of its sides are similar inscriptions, which inform us that it was erected by Alicia Decimilla, public priestess of Ceres, to her husband Luccius Libella, aedile, duumvir, and quinquennial prefect : also to her son M. Alleius Libella, decurion at 17, upon ground decreed by the public for that purpose.”
See Gell, W, and Gandy J. P., 1819.  Pompeiana. London: Rodwell and Martin.  (p. 111).

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Marble plaque on east side. On the plaque is the inscription:

M. ALLEIO LVCCIO LIBELLAE PATRI

AEDILI II VIR PRAEFECTO QVINQ(uennali) ET

M. ALLEIO LIBELLAE F DECVRIONI VIXIT

ANNIS XVII LOCVS MONVMENTI
PVBLICE DATVS EST ALLEIA M F

DECIMILLA SACERDOS PVBLICA

CERERIS FACIVNDVM CVRAVIT VIRO

ET FILO

 

This differs from the south side plaque where the last word is FILIO rather than FILO.

The plaque is also narrower and the inscription is on more (eight) lines.

According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) this reads


M(arco) Alleio Luccio Libellae patri

aedili IIvir(o) praefecto quinq(uennali) et

M(arco) Alleio Libellae f(ilio) decurioni vixit

annis XVII locus monumenti

publice datus est Alleia M(arci) f(ilia)

Decimilla sacerdos publica

Cereris faciundum curavit viro

et filio      [CIL X 1036 second part]

 

Gell describes this as “A well-executed tomb, in stone, of simple form, about 15 feet high.

Upon two of its sides are similar inscriptions, which inform us that

it was erected by Alicia Decimilla, public priestess of Ceres, to her husband Luccius Libella, aedile, duumvir, and quinquennial prefect :

also to her son M. Alleius Libella, decurion at 17, upon ground decreed by the public for that purpose.”

See Gell, W, and Gandy J. P., 1819.  Pompeiana. London: Rodwell and Martin.  (p. 111).

 

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Wider marble plaque on south side.

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Wider marble plaque on south side.

 

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Marble plaque on south side. 
On the plaque is the inscription: 
M. ALLEIO LVCCIO LIBELLAE PATRI AEDILI
II VIR PRAEFECTO QVINQ(uennali) ET M. ALLEIO LIBELLAE F
DECVRIONI VIXIT ANNIS XVII LOCVS MONVMENTI
PVBLICE DATVS EST ALLEIA M F DECIMILLA SACERDOS
PVBLICA CERERIS FACIVNDVM CVRAVIT VIRO ET FILIO

This differs from the east side plaque where the last word is FILO rather than FILIO. 
The plaque is also wider and the inscription is on fewer (five) lines.
According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) this reads

M(arco) Alleio Luccio Libellae patri aedile
IIvir(o) praefecto quinq(uennali) et M(arco) Alleio Libellae f(ilio)
decurioni vixit annis XVII locus monumenti
publice datus est Alleia M(arci) f(ilia) Decimilla Sacerdos
publica Cereris faciundum curavit viro et filio      [CIL X 1036 – first part]

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Marble plaque on south side.

On the plaque is the inscription:

M. ALLEIO LVCCIO LIBELLAE PATRI AEDILI
II VIR PRAEFECTO QVINQ(uennali) ET M. ALLEIO LIBELLAE F
DECVRIONI VIXIT ANNIS XVII LOCVS MONVMENTI
PVBLICE DATVS EST ALLEIA M F DECIMILLA SACERDOS
PVBLICA CERERIS FACIVNDVM CVRAVIT VIRO ET FILIO

 

This differs from the east side plaque where the last word is FILO rather than FILIO.

The plaque is also wider and the inscription is on fewer (five) lines.

 

According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) this reads


M(arco) Alleio Luccio Libellae patri aedile

IIvir(o) praefecto quinq(uennali) et M(arco) Alleio Libellae f(ilio)

decurioni vixit annis XVII locus monumenti

publice datus est Alleia M(arci) f(ilia) Decimilla Sacerdos

publica Cereris faciundum curavit viro et filio      [CIL X 1036 – first part]

 

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Looking south over HGE36, HGE35 and HGE34 with HGE37 to right.

HGE37 Pompeii. May 2006. Looking south over HGE36, HGE35 and HGE34 with HGE37 to right.

 

HGE37 Pompeii. Old postcard by Ragozino. HGE37 is seen behind HGE35. Photo courtesy of Drew Baker.

HGE37 Pompeii. Old postcard by Ragozino. HGE37 is seen behind HGE35. Photo courtesy of Drew Baker.

 

HGE37 Pompeii to left of HGE36 with HGE35 at front. Old postcard by Colini, c.1906. Note the placing of the statues. Photo courtesy of Drew Baker.

HGE37 Pompeii to left of HGE36 with HGE35 at front. Old postcard by Colini, c.1906.

Note the placing of the statues. Photo courtesy of Drew Baker.

 

HGE37 Pompeii. 1824 drawing of HE37 (left) and HGE36 (right).  See Mazois, F., 1824. Les Ruines de Pompei: Premiere Partie. Paris: Didot Freres. (pl. 11).

HGE37 Pompeii. 1824 drawing of HE37 (left) and HGE36 (right).

See Mazois, F., 1824. Les Ruines de Pompei: Premiere Partie. Paris: Didot Freres. (pl. 11).

 

 

 

 

The low resolution pictures on this site are copyright © of Jackie and Bob Dunn and MAY NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE USED FOR GAIN OR REWARD COMMERCIALLY. On concession of the Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. It is declared that no reproduction or duplication can be considered legitimate without the written authorization of the Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Le immagini fotografiche a bassa risoluzione pubblicate su questo web site sono copyright © di Jackie e Bob Dunn E NON POSSONO ESSERE UTILIZZATE, IN ALCUNA CIRCOSTANZA, PER GUADAGNO O RICOMPENSA COMMERCIALMENTE. Su concessione del Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. Si comunica che nessun riproduzione o duplicazione può considerarsi legittimo senza l'autorizzazione scritta del Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Ultimo aggiornamento - Last updated: 22-Oct-2018 14:43