Casale A., Bianco A., Primo contributo alla topografia del suburbio pompeiano: Supplemento al n. 15 di ANTIQUA ottobre-dicembre 1979, 26, p. 35, fig. 10.
Della Corte M., Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1921, pp. 415-423.
Elia O., 1975, Cronache Pompeiana I, p. 121.
Stefani G., 1998. Pompei oltre la vita: Nuove testimonianze dalle necropoli, p. 106.
Monumento Funerario del Fondo Prisco. Plan of villa and tomb.
The Villa rustica was found on the fondo of Antonio Prisco, at the Civita-Giuliana, Boscoreale (today Pompeii).
It was excavated by cav. Carlo Rossi-Filangieri from February to July 1903.
The building followed an already existing public roadway on the western front side.
On the roadway was an adjoining burial monument “D”.
The front façade was decorated with two portrait busts and a marble slab, on which however the funeral title had not yet been incised.
See Della Corte M., Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1921, p. 416.
The solid and elegant tomb “D” was, most likely, a dependence of the described Villa rustica.
It measured 3,30m at the side, and 5.45m high, all covered with white stucco and carefully made.
It was worked with big raised ashlars in the top half, while the lower half, protruding and slightly pyramidal, was smooth. A rich cornice bordered the upper ashlars at the point where, rising, the masonry formed a tholos.
Monumento Funerario del Fondo Prisco.
Fragment of engraved marble slab found inside the tomb.
[vixit annis] XV m(ensibus) XI
Now in Boscoreale Antiquarium. SAP inventory number 34131.
In the face turned to the west, just below the cornice, a large slab of white marble, 1m x 0.65m, was embedded in the wall.
Unfortunately it had no inscription, ready perhaps to receive the engraving of a new title to replace an older one, a fragment of which perhaps was this, engraved on a slab of marble 0.13m high, 0.20m wide and 0.06m thick, in letters 0.05m high of careless execution which came from inside the tomb.
Monumento Funerario del Fondo Prisco. Female and male travertine busts from front of tomb.
If the funeral title had been recovered, we would have known who the two travertine portraits busts portrayed.
They were found in a special semicircular niche, 0.90m high, located just below the previously mentioned marble slab.
The two interesting portraits depict certainly the couple who provided for the erection of the monument.
Being placed rather high up, the busts were not finished and here and there they were only sketched.
The trunks were shaped as herms: 0.73m high.
In the east wall, 1.50 m above the ground, was the door, monolithic, of Vesuvian stone, mounted between threshold architrave and door-jambs of the same monolithic stone, 0.80m high. Since the door-jambs were slightly inclined at the top, the door, which opened from the outside in, appeared pyramidal externally.
The interior of the tomb, a columbarium all covered with white stucco, consisted of two floors, the higher at the height of the threshold of the door, the lower, about 2m underneath the first, and accessible by a central hatch of 0.70m at the sides.
In the upper floor, in each corner was embedded a terracotta pot over a small masonry pedestal; at the same level a channel was open along the walls; in the western wall two circular openings, opened above the mentioned channel, communicating with the exterior; in the opposite eastern and western walls are two semicircular niches, 0.60 m high.
The lower floor was a columbarium of thirty-two niches, presenting eight semicircular niches on each wall, arranged in two superimposed orders. Of the pots and the remains they held, only a few fragments were found, because the columbarium had already been searched in ancient times, by searchers who penetrated from the tholos, demolishing the solid masonry.
See Stefani G., 1998. Pompei oltre la vita: Nuove testimonianze dalle necropoli, p. 106-8.
See Della Corte M., Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1921, p. 416, fig. 4.