PompeiiinPictures

IX.6.a Pompeii. Fullonica or workshop and dwelling of Marcus.

Linked to IX.6.1. Excavated 1878.

 

IX.6.a Pompeii. May 2005.           Unnamed vicolo looking east                                IX.7

IX.6.a Pompeii. May 2005.     Unnamed vicolo looking east               IX.7

 

IX.3 Pompeii. May 2005.      Vicolo di Tesmo, looking north.          Corner of IX.6.a.

IX.3 Pompeii. May 2005.      Vicolo di Tesmo, looking north.          Corner of IX.6.a.

 

IX.6.a Pompeii. May 2005. Entrance doorway, looking north across large shop-room.
According to Eschebach, on the left was the hearth and steps to upper floor, with latrine beneath. See Eschebach, L., 1993. Gebäudeverzeichnis und Stadtplan der antiken Stadt Pompeji. Köln: Böhlau. (p.428)
According to Flohr, see below, the stairs were in the rear room. This room identified as a shop or workshop had never been identified as a fullonica prior to his excavation in the north-west corner of the shop-room. The remains of the two low walls and a small platform, with space between the walls were thought to have been fulling stalls. Surface cleaning around the possible fulling installation confirmed the hypothesis.
See Rivista di Studi, XVIII, 2007, article by Flohr, M, entitled Cleaning the laundries report of the 2006 season, (p.134)
According to Mau, this was a shop with two rooms, one of them having a separate entrance from the western vicolo (IX.6.1). The shop and the room to the right had walls painted with a high flesh-coloured zoccolo (plinth); in the other room the plaster was not conserved.
See Mau in BdI 1881, (p.32), (described as number 14).
According to Varone, CIL IV 5203, 5204 and 5206 were found on the wall between IX.6.a and IX.6.b (see IX.6.b for details).
See also Mau in BdI 1881, (p.32)

IX.6.a Pompeii. May 2005. Entrance doorway, looking north across large shop-room.

According to Eschebach, on the left was the hearth and steps to upper floor, with latrine beneath.

See Eschebach, L., 1993. Gebäudeverzeichnis und Stadtplan der antiken Stadt Pompeji. Köln: Böhlau. (p.428)

According to Flohr, see below, the stairs were in the rear room.

This room identified as a shop or workshop had never been identified as a fullonica prior to his excavation in the north-west corner of the shop-room.

The remains of the two low walls and a small platform, with space between the walls were thought to have been fulling stalls.

Surface cleaning around the possible fulling installation confirmed the hypothesis.

See Rivista di Studi, XVIII, 2007, article by Flohr, M, entitled Cleaning the laundries report of the 2006 season, (p.134)

According to Mau, this was a shop with two rooms, one of them having a separate entrance from the western vicolo (IX.6.1).

The shop and the room to the right had walls painted with a high flesh-coloured zoccolo (plinth); in the other room the plaster was not conserved.

See Mau in BdI 1881, (p.32), (described as number 14).

According to Varone, CIL IV 5203, 5204 and 5206 were found on the wall between IX.6.a and IX.6.b (see IX.6.b for details).

See also Mau in BdI 1881, (p.32)

 

IX.6.a Pompeii. May 2005. West wall, with restored floor-supports for upper floor.

IX.6.a Pompeii. May 2005. West wall, with restored floor-supports for upper floor.

 

IX.6.a linked to IX.6.1 Pompeii. May 2005. Doorway to rear on north-west side of shop, with doorway to IX.6.1. Left of centre, on the west wall, the line of the site of the stairs can be seen in the plaster remains. According to Flohr, this room contained the stairs to the upper floor, which extended above all three ground-floor rooms. See Rivista di Studi, XVIII, 2007, article by Flohr, M, entitled Cleaning the laundries report of the 2006 season, (p.134).

IX.6.a linked to IX.6.1 Pompeii. May 2005.

Doorway to room at rear on north-west side of shop, with a doorway to IX.6.1.

Left of centre, on the west wall, the line of the site of the stairs can be seen in the plaster remains.

According to Flohr, this room contained the stairs to the upper floor, which extended above all three ground-floor rooms.

See Rivista di Studi, XVIII, 2007, article by Flohr, M, entitled Cleaning the laundries report of the 2006 season, (p.134).

 

IX.6.a Pompeii. May 2005. Doorway to rear room on north-east side of shop, with holes for beam supports for upper floor, and remains of white plastered walls.

IX.6.a Pompeii. May 2005.

Doorway to rear room on north-east side of shop, with holes for beam supports for upper floor, and remains of white plastered walls.

 

 

 

 

 

The low resolution pictures on this site are copyright © of Jackie and Bob Dunn and MAY NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE USED FOR GAIN OR REWARD COMMERCIALLY. On concession of the Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. It is declared that no reproduction or duplication can be considered legitimate without the written authorization of the Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Le immagini fotografiche a bassa risoluzione pubblicate su questo web site sono copyright © di Jackie e Bob Dunn E NON POSSONO ESSERE UTILIZZATE, IN ALCUNA CIRCOSTANZA, PER GUADAGNO O RICOMPENSA COMMERCIALMENTE. Su concessione del Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. Si comunica che nessun riproduzione o duplicazione può considerarsi legittimo senza l'autorizzazione scritta del Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Ultimo aggiornamento - Last updated: 22-Oct-2018 14:43