PompeiiinPictures

VIII.3.9 Pompeii. Shop of Anteros?

Excavated 1819, 1837. (Strada dell’Abbondanza 9).

 

VIII.3.9 Pompeii. May 2005. East wall of shop, with VIII.3.10 on left.
At the top of the brick pilaster on the east wall, that divides VIII.3.10 and 9, can be seen a terracotta downpipe.

VIII.3.9 Pompeii. May 2005. East wall of shop, with VIII.3.10 on left.

At the top of the brick pilaster on the east wall, that divides VIII.3.10 and 9, can be seen a terracotta down pipe.

 

VIII.3.9 Pompeii. May 2005. Entrance, looking south. On the south rear wall cab be seen the site of the stairs to the upper floor.

VIII.3.9 Pompeii. May 2005. Entrance, looking south. On the south rear wall can be seen the site of the stairs to the upper floor.

 

VIII.3.9 Pompeii. September 2004. West wall of shop. On the west wall can be seen a high zoccolo of cocciopesto.

VIII.3.9 Pompeii. September 2004. West wall of shop. On the west wall can be seen a high zoccolo of cocciopesto.

 

VIII.3.10 and VIII.3.9 Pompeii. September 2004. Looking south-west on Via dell’Abbondanza. According to Della Corte, he thought the seat of the Collegium Aurificum may have been on the upper floor of VIII.3.9.
He deduced this by an electoral recommendation, mutual to all the neighbours, that was on the opposite external wall of the Building of Eumachia.   This read -
Aurifices universi rog(ant)  [CIL IV 710]
From this graffito, Della Corte states the name of the “Via degli Orefici” was given to the street in some of the old bibliographies.
See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.229)

According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) the graffito read as -
C(aium)  Cuspium  Pansam  aed(ilem) 
aurifices  universi 
rog(ant)         [CIL IV 710]

VIII.3.10 and VIII.3.9 Pompeii. September 2004. Looking south-west on Via dell’Abbondanza.

According to Della Corte, he thought the seat of the Collegium Aurificum may have been on the upper floor of VIII.3.9.

He deduced this by an electoral recommendation, mutual to all the neighbours, that was on the opposite external wall of the Building of Eumachia.

This read -

Aurifices universi rog(ant)  [CIL IV 710]

From this graffito, Della Corte states the name of the “Via degli Orefici” was given to the street in some of the old bibliographies.

See Della Corte, M., 1965. Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.229)

 

According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) the graffito read as -

 

C(aium)  Cuspium  Pansam  aed(ilem)

aurifices  universi

rog(ant)         [CIL IV 710]

 

 

 

The low resolution pictures on this site are copyright © of Jackie and Bob Dunn and MAY NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE USED FOR GAIN OR REWARD COMMERCIALLY. On concession of the Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. It is declared that no reproduction or duplication can be considered legitimate without the written authorization of the Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Le immagini fotografiche a bassa risoluzione pubblicate su questo web site sono copyright © di Jackie e Bob Dunn E NON POSSONO ESSERE UTILIZZATE, IN ALCUNA CIRCOSTANZA, PER GUADAGNO O RICOMPENSA COMMERCIALMENTE. Su concessione del Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. Si comunica che nessun riproduzione o duplicazione può considerarsi legittimo senza l'autorizzazione scritta del Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Ultimo aggiornamento - Last updated: 05-Jan-2019 16:27