PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

 

Back
Home
Up
Next




VII.12.26 Pompeii. House of Cornelius Diadumenus.

Linked to VII.12.27. Excavated 1863. (Vico del Balcone Pensile 7)

Part 1.                                                           Part 2

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2007. Entrance doorway. According to Della Corte, this house was assigned to L. Cornelius Diadumenus and to his freedman Communis, because of the seal/signet found here.
It read -
L. Corneli Diadumeni Com(munis) l(ibertus)   [CIL X 8058, 24]
The house was not a big house, but it was noted for its painted walls.
See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.202 no. S31)

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2007. Entrance doorway.

According to Della Corte, this house was assigned to L. Cornelius Diadumenus and to his freedman Communis, because of the seal/signet found here.

It read -

L. Corneli Diadumeni Com(munis) l(ibertus)   [CIL X 8058, 24]

The house was not a big house, but it was noted for its painted walls.

See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.202 no. S31)

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2004. Entrance corridor and doorway to shop at VII.12.27, on left.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2004. Entrance corridor, and doorway to shop at VII.12.27, on left.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. Entrance corridor, looking north to area of small garden.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. Entrance corridor, looking north to area of small garden.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2005. Fauces leading to small garden area at front of house. According to Jashemski, the garden at the front of the house was reached by a long corridor. It was enclosed on the north and east by a portico. This was supported by two columns and one engaged column which were joined by a low masonry wall. It had an entrance to the garden on both the north and east sides. According to Fiorelli, half the garden was cultivated, half of it was paved to provide a passageway to the portico. The triclinium on the north side had a fine view of the garden. A large window in the south wall of the garden gave light to the shop on the other side.
See Jashemski, W. F., 1993. The Gardens of Pompeii, Volume II: Appendices. New York: Caratzas. (p.196)

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2005. Fauces leading to small garden area at front of house.

According to Jashemski, the garden at the front of the house was reached by a long corridor.

It was enclosed on the north and east by a portico.

This was supported by two columns and one engaged column which were joined by a low masonry wall.

It had an entrance to the garden on both the north and east sides.

According to Fiorelli, half the garden was cultivated, half of it was paved to provide a passageway to the portico.

The triclinium on the north side had a fine view of the garden.

A large window in the south wall of the garden gave light to the shop on the other side.

See Jashemski, W. F., 1993. The Gardens of Pompeii, Volume II: Appendices. New York: Caratzas. (p.196)

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii.  West wall of garden area, North Portico and doorway to Triclinium. According to Boyce, there was a Lararium painting on the west end of the North Portico done on a white background. The Genius stood in the centre, with a Lar on either side. Below them, two serpents were approaching an altar. See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14.  (p.71, No.321).

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2005. West wall of garden area, north portico and doorway to triclinium.

According to Boyce, there was a lararium painting on the west end of the north portico done on a white background.

The Genius stood in the centre, with a Lar on either side. Below them, two serpents were approaching an altar.

See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.71, No.321).

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. Small garden area on south side of triclinium.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. Small garden area on south side of triclinium.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2005. Triclinium in north-west corner of north portico.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2005. Triclinium in north-west corner of north portico.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. Looking north across garden towards triclinium.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. North wall of triclinium, with remains of wall painting. According to Breton, found on the wall at the back, would have been Ariadne abandoned. See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. North wall of triclinium, with remains of wall painting.

According to Breton, found on the wall at the back, would have been Ariadne abandoned.

See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. East wall of triclinium.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. East wall of triclinium.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. Found in room on left hand side behind atrium.
Wall painting of Artemis, seated, turning towards the nymph Callisto.
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 111441.
See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (253).
According to Richardson, he thought this may have been a painting of Aeneas and Dido?  He wrote that a wall painting of Theseus abandoning Ariadne was also found in this room. Also found was a Tondo (medallions) with head of a Satyr, and Tondi with busts. See Richardson, L., 2000. A Catalog of Identifiable Figure Painters of Ancient Pompeii, Herculaneum. Baltimore: John Hopkins. (p.146)

VII.12.26 Pompeii. Found in room on left hand side behind atrium.

Wall painting of Artemis, seated, turning towards the nymph Callisto.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 111441.

See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (253).

According to Richardson, he thought this may have been a painting of Aeneas and Dido?

He wrote that a wall painting of Theseus abandoning Ariadne was also found in this room.

Also found was a medallion with head of a Satyr, and medallions with busts.

See Richardson, L., 2000. A Catalog of Identifiable Figure Painters of Ancient Pompeii, Herculaneum. Baltimore: John Hopkins. (p.146)

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii.   Found in room on left hand side behind atrium.  Wall painting of Aphrodite and a nest of cupids.  Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111437.  See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (823).

VII.12.26 Pompeii. Found in room on left hand side behind atrium.

Wall painting of Aphrodite and a nest of cupids.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 111437.

See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (823).

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. Stereoview by Sommer and Behles, c.1860-1870 showing Aphrodite and a nest of cupids. Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Wrongly described on the stereoview as “Leda”. Photo courtesy of Rick Bauer.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. Stereoview by Sommer and Behles, c.1860-1870 showing Aphrodite and a nest of cupids.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.

Wrongly described on the stereoview as “Leda”.

Photo courtesy of Rick Bauer.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010.  West wall of triclinium, north- west corner and north wall.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. May 2010. West wall of triclinium, north-west corner and north wall.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii.  December 2005. Looking north from Portico area, to rear.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. December 2005. Looking north from portico area, to rear.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii.  3 rooms at rear of atrium.  Photographed 1970-79 by Günther Einhorn, picture courtesy of his son Ralf Einhorn.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. Three rooms at rear of atrium.

Photographed 1970-79 by Günther Einhorn, picture courtesy of his son Ralf Einhorn.

 

VII.12.26 Pompeii.  Room at rear of atrium. Photographed 1970-79 by Günther Einhorn, picture courtesy of his son Ralf Einhorn.

VII.12.26 Pompeii. Room at rear of atrium.

Photographed 1970-79 by Günther Einhorn, picture courtesy of his son Ralf Einhorn.

 

 

 

 

Part 2