According to Garcia y Garcia Region VII, Insula VI was one of the insulae most devastated over the years since its excavation.
He calls it the “Cinderella” of Pompeii. Between the years 1759 and 1762 it was vandalised and stripped by the Bourbons, then re-interred.
Then came the slow and non-systematic uncovering again before the final destruction in September 1943.
The area was ignored and abandoned during the years following the war, which reduced the insula to a heap of bricks and masonry.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.102).
In 2007 re-excavation and re-examination of the house was begun by a partnership of the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando and la Escuela Española de Arqueología de Roma.
The details of the excavations, an interactive model of the house and an interactive panorama can be seen on their project web site http://www.dianaarcaizante.com/.
North side of insula on Via delle Terme.
VII.6.3 Pompeii. May 2011. Looking south to entrance doorway. Photo courtesy of Michael Binns.
VII.6.3 Pompeii. 1972. Looking south from entrance doorway, across atrium to rear.
Photo by Stanley A. Jashemski.
Source: The Wilhelmina and Stanley A. Jashemski archive in the University of Maryland Library, Special Collections (See collection page) and made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial License v.4. See Licence and use details.
Looking south from fauces 2 across site of atrium 3a to tablinum 12 and viridarium 18.
In January 1761, two seal/signets were found in this area.
Saturnini [CIL X, 8058, 83]
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum, inventory number 4748.
D(ecimi) Volci D(ecimi) f(ilii)
Modesti [CIL X, 8058, 95]
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum, inventory number 4754.
These seals gave the house its alternative name to Casa della Diana III.
See Pagano, M. and Prisciandaro, R., 2006. Studio sulle provenienze degli oggetti rinvenuti negli scavi borbonici del regno di Napoli. Volume 1. Naples : Nicola Longobardi. (p. 37
They can be seen as Rami Inediti, fig 30b, and Rami Inediti, fig 65 a-b.
See Pagano, M. and Prisciandaro, R., 2006. Studio sulle provenienze degli oggetti rinvenuti negli scavi borbonici del regno di Napoli. Volume 2: Indexes. Naples : Nicola Longobardi. (p. 331)
Next to the white stone block there are steps up from the fauces to the higher floor of the room.
Excavations in 2010 have shown this room covers a previously unknown vaulted basement.
Looking south-west across atrium towards remains of rooms 8, 7, 10 and 14 on west side.
VII.6.3 Pompeii. May 2011. Looking south-west towards rear of VII.6.3, and the rooms on its west side.
Photo courtesy of Michael Binns.
According to Garcia y Garcia, the bombing of 13th September 1943 resulted in the destruction
- of the prothyron, and four rooms to the north and north-east of the atrium.
- three columns of the portico were knocked down in the south-east corner of the peristyle.
- in the west ala, the beautiful mosaic in black and white which had been disturbed in the last days of Pompeii by the construction of a wall for a cupboard base, just before its ruin by Vesuvius (Fig.232 on page 104).
According to the map of the bombing (on page 26) 5 bombs hit this insula.
Diary of Incursions on page 31-34 lists the damage to the surrounding houses –
13th September 1943 (17.00 hrs)
(listed as VII.vii.3, but probably VII.vi.3) south and south-east of the peristyle, part of the south perimeter wall.
VII.vi.28, north and north-west of the peristyle
VII.vi.38, south-west of the house and neighbouring rooms.
VII.vi.7, west of the atrium and south-west of peristyle.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.102 & p.104, Fig.232).
VII.6.3 Pompeii. May 2011. Looking south towards rear. Photo courtesy of Michael Binns.
The altar on its north side can be seen.
According to Boyce, the sacrarium was found in a small room opening off the south side of the peristyle, only the solid podium remains.
The podium was coated with grey stucco on its sides and paved on top with pounded sherds.
In front of the base stood the remains of a small altar of tufa in the form of a rectangular pillar upon a base; the whole covered with red stucco.
See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p. 67, no.286).
According to Spano the staircase had sixteen masonry steps of varying heights.
There was a tall plaster plinth on both sides.
The top was vaulted and received light from two skylights.
See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1910, p. 444.
Underground corridor f with latrine and rectangular window.