PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

 

Back
Home
Up
Next




VII.5.14 Pompeii. Thermopolium. (Now part of modern restaurant).

 

VII.5.14 Pompeii. September 2005. Plaque of goat on west pilaster.
According to Fiorelli, this brick pilaster was partly whitewashed, and under the plaque of the goat was the graffito –
M(arcum)  Casellium //
aed(ilem)  d(ignum)  r(ei)  p(ublicae)  fac(it)
Fidelis  Fbrli      [CIL IV 540]
See Pappalardo, U., 2001. La Descrizione di Pompei per Giuseppe Fiorelli (1875). Napoli: Massa Editore. (p.96)
See Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) who translated the last word as “Ebrli”.
According to Della Corte, an electoral programme found under the plaque, (he numbered it as VII.5.16) was –
Fac Fidelis Aemili    [CIL IV 539]
He noted that on the wall, the actual name read as “Eami”, but he believed it should have been Aemili (see Note 1 on p.174)
See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.173-4)
See VII.5.15, where CIL IV 539 appears to have been found under the painting of the gladiators. 
According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de), it read -
Marcellum aed(ilem) EAMH() roga(t?)   [CIL IV 539]

VII.5.14 Pompeii. September 2005. Plaque of goat on west pilaster.

According to Fiorelli, this brick pilaster was partly whitewashed, and under the plaque of the goat was the graffito –

M(arcum)  Casellium //

aed(ilem)  d(ignum)  r(ei)  p(ublicae)  fac(it)

Fidelis  Fbrli      [CIL IV 540]

See Pappalardo, U., 2001. La Descrizione di Pompei per Giuseppe Fiorelli (1875). Napoli: Massa Editore. (p.96)

See Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de) who translated the last word as “Ebrli”.

 

According to Della Corte, an electoral programme found under the plaque, (he numbered it as VII.5.16) was –

Fac Fidelis Aemili    [CIL IV 539]

He noted that on the wall, the actual name read as “Eami”, but he believed it should have been Aemili (see Note 1 on p.174)

See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.173-4)

See VII.5.15, where CIL IV 539 appears to have been found under the painting of the gladiators.

 

According to Epigraphik-Datenbank Clauss/Slaby (See www.manfredclauss.de), it read –

 

Marcellum aed(ilem) EAMH() roga(t?)   [CIL IV 539]

 

VII.5.14 Pompeii. PAH 3, p.11: 16th April 1817: According to the Giornale, the above inscriptions were written in red and were described as being from the pilaster following VII.5.15 These refer to CIL IV 540, and CIL IV 494

VII.5.14 Pompeii. PAH 3, p.11: 16th April 1817:

According to the Giornale, the above inscriptions were written in red and were described as being from the pilaster following VII.5.15.

These refer to CIL IV 540, and CIL IV 494.

 

VII.5.14 Pompeii. July 2010. Plaque of goat on west pilaster. Photo courtesy of Michael Binns.

VII.5.14 Pompeii. July 2010. Plaque of goat on west pilaster. Photo courtesy of Michael Binns.

 

VII.5.14 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking north towards original entrance on south side of insula.  According to Garcia y Garcia, all of the south-west corner and southern part of the insula were transformed in the time of Maiuri. Then the area was hit during the first bombing incursion during the early evening (17.00hrs) of 13th September 1943. All of the old structures have been modified again to provide a restaurant, latrine and sales area. The modifications included closing and bricking up of the old doorways to VII.5.14, 15, 16 and 17. Entrances at VII.5.18, 19 and 20 now provide the doorways to the modern restaurant.  See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.101-3) 

According to Fiorelli, the shop originally had a sales-counter clad largely in marble, and with only one urn of terracotta. At the rear were the stairs to the upper floor, a dormitory, a kitchen with hearth, near to the kitchen was a small stall. See Pappalardo, U., 2001. La Descrizione di Pompei per Giuseppe Fiorelli (1875). Napoli: Massa Editore. (p.96)

According to Boyce, in the east wall was a square niche.
See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.66, no.284)

VII.5.14 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking north towards original entrance on south side of insula.

 According to Garcia y Garcia, all of the south-west corner and southern part of the insula were transformed in the time of Maiuri.

Then the area was hit during the first bombing incursion during the early evening (17.00hrs) of 13th September 1943.

All of the old structures have been modified again to provide a restaurant, latrine and sales area.

The modifications included closing and bricking up of the old doorways to VII.5.14, 15, 16 and 17.

Entrances at VII.5.18, 19 and 20 now provide the doorways to the modern restaurant.

See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.101-3)

 

According to Fiorelli, the shop originally had a sales-counter clad largely in marble, and with only one urn of terracotta.

At the rear were the stairs to the upper floor, a dormitory, a kitchen with hearth, near to the kitchen was a small stall.

See Pappalardo, U., 2001. La Descrizione di Pompei per Giuseppe Fiorelli (1875). Napoli: Massa Editore. (p.96)

 

According to Boyce, in the east wall was a square niche.

See Boyce G. K., 1937. Corpus of the Lararia of Pompeii. Rome: MAAR 14. (p.66, no.284)