VI.17.21 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking west to entrance of shop, with original full-width threshold or sill.
According to Fiorelli – the dwelling at VI.17.23/25 had six shops attached to it, along the Via Consolare.
According to Breton –
“On the street in front of the peristyle is a small building established and restored on the site of a shop; in this single room are exposed the four bodies moulded in 1863 by the process invented by Commander Fiorelli.”
See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin. (p.280), and description of the plaster-casts when they were in the building (p.280-81).
(Note: Breton wrote these words in 1870, the plaster casts are no longer on display here).