PompeiiinPictures

VI.16.6 Pompeii. Fullonica. Linked to VI.16.7. Excavated 7th August 1903.

 

VI.16.6 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking west towards entrance doorway to wide room of fullonica. According to Sogliano, the entrance doorway threshold was made of lava. In the left half could be seen a longitudinal track for fixing a board for closure, in the other half (the right side) the track was missing and the remains of a hinge proved that there had been a movable shutter of a door there. In the south-west corner of the west wall is a doorway into what now appears to be a corridor leading to VI.16.7. According to Sogliano, this actually led into a narrow room which was under the stairs from the peristyle of VI.16.7. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1906, p. 350.

VI.16.6 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking west towards entrance doorway to wide room of fullonica.

According to Sogliano, the entrance doorway threshold was made of lava.

In the left half could be seen a longitudinal track for fixing a board for closure.

In the other half (the right side) the track was missing and the remains of a hinge proved that there had been a movable shutter of a door there.

 

In the south-west corner of the west wall is a doorway into what now appears to be a corridor leading to VI.16.7.

According to Sogliano, this actually led into a narrow room which was under the stairs from the peristyle of VI.16.7.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1906, p. 350.

 

VI.16.6 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking west along corridor leading to VI.16.7

VI.16.6 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking west along corridor leading to VI.16.7

 

VI.16.6 Pompeii. May 2005. North-east corner of fullonica, with structure, possibly remains of tub or basin. According to Sogliano, the walls were undecorated at the bottom to the height of the dado, and then above were crudely painted in white.  Leaning against the north wall would have been a wooden ladder, which probably led up to some rooms at the top of the House of the Golden Cupids. Also against the north wall were a masonry structure with two steps.  To left were the remains of three low walls, arranged like fullonica tanks for treading pigment into cloth. Also there were the remains of a shallow tank. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1906, p. 350.

VI.16.6 Pompeii. May 2005. North-east corner of fullonica, with structure, possibly remains of tub or basin.

According to Sogliano, the walls were undecorated at the bottom to the height of the dado, and then above were crudely painted in white.

Leaning against the north wall would have been a wooden ladder, which probably led up to some rooms at the top of the House of the Golden Cupids.

Also against the north wall were a masonry structure with two steps.

To left were the remains of three low walls, arranged like fullonica tanks for treading pigment into cloth.

Also there were the remains of a shallow tank.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1906, p. 350.

 

 

 

 

 

The low resolution pictures on this site are copyright © of Jackie and Bob Dunn and MAY NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE USED FOR GAIN OR REWARD COMMERCIALLY. On concession of the Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. It is declared that no reproduction or duplication can be considered legitimate without the written authorization of the Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Le immagini fotografiche a bassa risoluzione pubblicate su questo web site sono copyright © di Jackie e Bob Dunn E NON POSSONO ESSERE UTILIZZATE, IN ALCUNA CIRCOSTANZA, PER GUADAGNO O RICOMPENSA COMMERCIALMENTE. Su concessione del Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. Si comunica che nessun riproduzione o duplicazione può considerarsi legittimo senza l'autorizzazione scritta del Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Ultimo aggiornamento - Last updated: 22-Oct-2018 14:43