PompeiiinPictures

VI.15.23 Pompeii. Unnamed house. Excavated 1896.

In Notizie degli Scavi, prior to January 1897, this house may be described as being in Insula 12 of Reg. VI.

Afterwards it was changed to Insula 15 of Reg. VI.

 

According to the plans of the insula in Notizie degli Scavi, 1897, (pages 14, 269 and 460) the doorways on the west side of the insula were numbered with Roman numerals, this doorway was shown as No. III.

Part 1                                                  Part 2

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Entrance doorway, looking east directly into peristyle. According to Wallace-Hadrill, this house consisted of a peristyle with four-sided colonnade and eleven rooms around it.
There were faded decorations found in the peristyle, and a Style IV lararium painting in the kitchen. He thought the well-built peristyle may have been formerly part of another house, perhaps VI.15.9 or 12. See Wallace-Hadrill, A. (1994): Houses and Society in Pompeii and Herculaneum, Princeton Univ. Pr, (p.215)

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Entrance doorway, looking east directly into peristyle.

According to Wallace-Hadrill, this house consisted of a peristyle with four-sided colonnade and eleven rooms around it.

There were faded decorations found in the peristyle, and a Style IV lararium painting in the kitchen.

He thought the well-built peristyle may have been formerly part of another house, perhaps VI.15.9 or 12.

See Wallace-Hadrill, A. (1994): Houses and Society in Pompeii and Herculaneum, Princeton Univ. Pr, (p.215)

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking east across peristyle.
According to Jashemski, the peristyle garden excavated in 1896-7 was enclosed on all four sides by a portico. It was supported by eleven columns covered with rough plaster. The columns were joined by a low masonry wall which had an entrance to the garden on the east side.
There was a puteal enclosed in the south wall between the last two columns at the east end. Around the edges of the garden was a gutter.
There was a marble foot for a fountain basin or a table in the portico.
See Jashemski, W. F., 1993. The Gardens of Pompeii, Volume II: Appendices. New York: Caratzas. (p.158)

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking east across peristyle.

According to Jashemski, the peristyle garden excavated in 1896-7 was enclosed on all four sides by a portico.

It was supported by eleven columns covered with rough plaster.

The columns were joined by a low masonry wall which had an entrance to the garden on the east side.

There was a puteal enclosed in the south wall between the last two columns at the east end.

Around the edges of the garden was a gutter.

There was a marble foot for a fountain basin or a table in the portico.

See Jashemski, W. F., 1993. The Gardens of Pompeii, Volume II: Appendices. New York: Caratzas. (p.158)

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Portico, with remains of columns and marble foot for a fountain basin or table.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005.

North portico, with remains of columns and marble foot for a fountain basin or table.

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking south along west side of portico of peristyle, from near entrance doorway. According to NdS, under the south portico near the pilaster dividing the two doorways (centre), a cupboard was found containing many small objects.
See Notizie degli Scavi, 1896, (p.473).

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005.

Looking south along west side of portico of peristyle, from near entrance doorway.

According to NdS, under the south portico near the pilaster dividing the two doorways (centre), a cupboard was found containing many small objects.

See Notizie degli Scavi, 1896, (p.473).

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking south-east across peristyle.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking south-east across peristyle.

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking towards east portico.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking towards east portico.

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking east along north portico towards pilaster.
According to Sogliano, two paintings were discovered on the pilaster between the oecus and tablinum/triclinium on the east portico. Both paintings had a black background and preserved around them was an unequal margin of red plaster that was on the wall from which they were removed. On the lower right corner of the photograph, (fig.2 below), an iron nail-head can be seen, with another in the middle of the lowest margin. These were cut from the wall and taken to Naples Archaeological Museum. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1897, p. 154-5.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking east along north portico towards pilaster.

According to Sogliano, two paintings were discovered on the pilaster between the oecus and tablinum/triclinium on the east portico.

Both paintings had a black background and preserved around them was an unequal margin of red plaster that was on the wall from which they were removed.

On the lower right corner of the photograph, (fig.2 below), an iron nail-head can be seen, with another in the middle of the lowest margin.

These paintings were cut from the wall and taken to Naples Archaeological Museum.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1897, p. 154-5.

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. 1897. Painting on pilaster of two women, one seated, on east portico between oecus and tablinum/triclinium. According to Sogliano, the meaning of this painting is not clear. However, the painting was excellent, especially the figure of the standing young woman, which was delightfully painted. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1897, p. 154, fig. 2.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. 1897.

Painting on pilaster of two women, one seated, on east portico between oecus and tablinum/triclinium.

According to Sogliano, the meaning of this painting is not clear.

However, the painting was excellent, especially the figure of the standing young woman, which was delightfully painted.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1897, p. 154, fig. 2.

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. 1897. Second painting on pilaster of two figures, one seated, found on wall of east portico between oecus and tablinum/triclinium. According to Sogliano, the meaning was clear, it was of a poet reading his poetry to a female companion. The execution of the painting was very fine, it was unfortunate that the conservation was not perfect. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1897, p. 155, fig. 3.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. 1897.

Second painting on pilaster of two figures, one seated, found on wall of east portico between oecus and tablinum/triclinium.

According to Sogliano, the meaning was clear, it was of a poet reading his poetry to a female companion.

The execution of the painting was very fine, it was unfortunate that the conservation was not perfect.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1897, p. 155, fig. 3.

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Two doorways to cubicula on north side of portico.
According to NdS, both these rooms were covered with a barrel-vaulted ceiling.
Beyond these is the open doorway to the north ala. On the right of the ala was a corridor, which was closed at its east end (this may have contained a staircase). 
On the north of the ala, was a doorway into another small room, which had a mezzanine above. The room had walls of cocciopesto, and holes for supporting the shelving could be seen. In this small room, on 23rd June 1897, a human skeleton was found.
Against the west wall of the ala was a masonry hearth, on which an ash deposit was found. It was possible that the small room was a storeroom. See Notizie degli Scavi, June 1897, (p.272)  Another skeleton was found on November 4th 1900, in the third room on north side of peristyle, this would be the ala. See Notizie degli Scavi, 1900. 
See Luongo, G et al. (2003): Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 126, (p.186)
On the east portico, on the right of the photo, a doorway to the oecus can be seen.
According to NdS of April 1898, two skeletons were found on 28th April 1898.
See Notizie degli Scavi, April 1989, (p.174) According to NdS, in a room to the left of the large triclinium at the rear of the peristyle, probably the oecus, four human skeletons were found, two in each pair. On 8th June 1899, the first two were found near to each other. On 22nd June 1899, the other two were found. See Notizie degli Scavi, June 1899, (p.235)

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Two doorways to cubicula on north side of portico.

According to NdS, both these rooms were covered with a barrel-vaulted ceiling.

 

On 31st July 1897 a rectangular bronze seal, that gave a name to a house, was found in the room with the doorway right of centre of the photo, (room ‘n’). It read –

that would be M. Stla(bori) Auct(i)
See Sogliano in Notizie degli Scavi, July 1897, (p.323).
According to Della Corte and Eschebach, the house at VI.15.20 was named the house of M. Stlaborius Auctus. See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.61). See Eschebach, L., 1993. Gebäudeverzeichnis und Stadtplan der antiken Stadt Pompeji. Köln: Böhlau. (p.223)
However in 1913, he had written - 
“M. Stlaborius Auctus, proprietario probabilmente della casa no.23, Reg.VI. Ins.XV, come sembra provare il sigillo recante il nome di questo Pompeiano e raccolto nella casa indicata” (NdS, 1897, p.323)
“M. Stlaborius Auctus, owner probably of house number 23, Reg.VI, Ins.XV, as it seems proved by the seal/signet showing the name of this Pompeian and found in the house indicated” (See Notizie degli Scavi, 1897, p.323)
See Della Corte, M., 1913, Memorie della Royale Accademia di Archaeologia, Lettere e Belle Arti, Vol. II, (p.197)

that would be M. Stla(bori) Auct(i)

See Sogliano in Notizie degli Scavi, July 1897, (p.323).

According to Della Corte and Eschebach, the house at VI.15.20 was named the house of M. Stlaborius Auctus.

See Della Corte, M., 1965.  Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.61)

See Eschebach, L., 1993. Gebäudeverzeichnis und Stadtplan der antiken Stadt Pompeji. Köln: Böhlau. (p.223)

However in 1913, he had written -

“M. Stlaborius Auctus, proprietario probabilmente della casa no.23, Reg.VI. Ins.XV, come sembra provare il sigillo recante il nome di questo Pompeiano e raccolto nella casa indicata” (NdS, 1897, p.323)

“M. Stlaborius Auctus, owner probably of house number 23, Reg.VI, Ins.XV, as it seems proved by the seal/signet showing the name of this Pompeian and found in the house indicated” (See Notizie degli Scavi, 1897, p.323)

See Della Corte, M., 1913, Memorie della Royale Accademia di Archaeologia, Lettere e Belle Arti, Vol. II, (p.197)

 

Beyond these two cubicula doorways is the open doorway to the north ala.

On the right of the ala was a corridor, which was closed at its east end (this may have contained a staircase).

On the north of the ala, was a doorway into another small room, which had a mezzanine above.

The room had walls of cocciopesto, and holes for supporting the shelving could be seen.

In this small room, on 23rd June 1897, a human skeleton was found.

Against the west wall of the ala was a masonry hearth, on which an ash deposit was found.

It was possible that the small room was a storeroom.

See Notizie degli Scavi, June 1897, (p.272)

Another skeleton was found on November 4th 1900, in the third room on north side of peristyle, this would be the ala.

See Notizie degli Scavi, 1900.

See Luongo, G et al. (2003): Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 126, (p.186)

 

On the east portico, on the right of the photo, a doorway to the oecus can be seen.

According to NdS of April 1898, two skeletons were found on 28th April 1898.

See Notizie degli Scavi, April 1989, (p.174)

According to NdS, in a room to the left of the large triclinium at the rear of the peristyle, probably the oecus, four human skeletons were found, two in each pair.

On 8th June 1899, the first two were found near to each other.

On 22nd June 1899, the other two were found.

See Notizie degli Scavi, June 1899, (p.235)

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Small room at rear of the oecus with stone feature against south wal, looking eastl.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005.

Small room at rear of the oecus with stone feature against south wall, looking east.

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Small room at rear of the oecus with stone feature against east wal, looking southl.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005.

Small room at rear of the oecus with stone feature against east wall, looking south.

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking east into tablinum/triclinium from east portico.
According to NdS, this room was linked to the oecus on its north (left) side, by a doorway in the north-west corner. Both rooms were quite rustic, but spacious. According to Sogliano in NdS, the floor of this triclinium was made of opus signinum with a rectangle of coloured marble in its centre. He said the presence of this geometric ornamentation in the middle of the floor made clear that this room was a triclinium. See Notizie degli Scavi, March 1898, (p.126)

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking east into tablinum/triclinium from east portico.

According to NdS, this room was linked to the oecus on its north (left) side, by a doorway in the north-west corner.

Both rooms were quite rustic, but spacious.

According to Sogliano in NdS, the floor of this triclinium was made of opus signinum with a rectangle of coloured marble in its centre.

He said the presence of this geometric ornamentation in the middle of the floor made clear that this room was a triclinium.

See Notizie degli Scavi, March 1898, (p.126)

 

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. East wall of portico.

VI.15.23 Pompeii. September 2005. East wall of portico.

 

 

 

Part 2

 

 

 

 

 

The low resolution pictures on this site are copyright © of Jackie and Bob Dunn and MAY NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE USED FOR GAIN OR REWARD COMMERCIALLY. On concession of the Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. It is declared that no reproduction or duplication can be considered legitimate without the written authorization of the Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Le immagini fotografiche a bassa risoluzione pubblicate su questo web site sono copyright © di Jackie e Bob Dunn E NON POSSONO ESSERE UTILIZZATE, IN ALCUNA CIRCOSTANZA, PER GUADAGNO O RICOMPENSA COMMERCIALMENTE. Su concessione del Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. Si comunica che nessun riproduzione o duplicazione può considerarsi legittimo senza l'autorizzazione scritta del Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Ultimo aggiornamento - Last updated: 22-Oct-2018 14:43