In Notizie degli Scavi, January 1897, plan on p.14, this house was not yet shown.
In Notizie degli Scavi, June 1897, (p.269), it is seen as VI.15.13.
In Notizie degli Scavi, November 1897, (p.460), it is shown as VI.15.14. See Note on Region VI, Insula 15 plan for information.
VI.15.14 Pompeii. May 2006. Entrance doorway looking west.
VI.15.14 Pompeii. May 2006. Looking west along long entrance corridor.
According to NdS, this long and narrow corridor had a beaten floor and plastered walls with a yellow background.
See Notizie degli Scavi, June 1897, (p.270)
VI.15.14 Pompeii. September 2004. Looking west along entrance corridor towards atrium at its end.
On the left is the doorway to the garden area at the rear of VI.15.13.
On the right are two doorways linking with the rooms of VI.15.15.
VI.15.14 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking east along corridor towards entrance doorway.
On the right is the garden area behind VI.15.13.
VI.15.14 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking east along entrance corridor from atrium.
On the right is a doorway to the garden area at the rear of VI.15.13.
According to NdS, from the long corridor one entered the atrium with an impluvium in the middle.
Near to the impluvium was the mouth of the cistern.
The beaten floor of the atrium was scattered with pieces of coloured marble, arranged in parallel sets.
The walls were decorated with panels on a black background, separated on the west wall by red pilasters.
The dado, or zoccolo, was yellow.
See Notizie degli Scavi, June 1897, (p.270-71)
VI.15.14 Pompeii. September 2005. Cistern mouth in atrium.
VI.15.14 Pompeii. September 2005. Remains of painted wall decoration.
VI.15.14 Pompeii. September 2005.
Looking east from kitchen area, into rear room of VI.15.15.
Found in Tablinum of VI.15.14, according to card at Naples Archaeological Museum.
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum, inventory number 124666.
The mosaic shows a young woman but with a matronly aspect, with black wavy hair and pearl earrings mounted in gold.
She is also wearing a pearl necklace, and a dark robe with gold embroidery.
According to Della Corte, the mosaic formed the centre of a floor of a cubiculum situated to the south of the impluvium. (note 1 = N.S. 1898, p.173).
See Della Corte, M., 1965. Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.63)
According to NdS, the mosaic was found on 6th April 1898, in the centre of a floor of a cubiculum.
It was contained in a piece of travertine, framed by a strip of black mosaic and made of very small tesserae, finely executed.
The only damage was to the lower left corner of the mosaic, at the woman’s right shoulder.
See Notizie degli Scavi, April 1898 (p.173)