PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

 

Back
Home
Up
Next




VI.14.24 Pompeii. Shop with dwelling. Excavated 1874.

 

VI.14.24 Pompeii. December 2005. Looking west to entrance doorway. According to BdI, this entrance was found without a threshold.

VI.14.24 Pompeii. December 2005. Looking west to entrance doorway.

According to BdI, this entrance was found without a threshold.

 

VI.14.24 Pompeii. December 2005. Looking west to entrance doorway.

VI.14.24 Pompeii. December 2005. Looking west to entrance doorway.

 

VI.14.24 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking west across shop to doorways to two rear rooms.
According to BdI, on the right of the shop entrance in the north-east corner, was a small hearth, and in the same corner was a latrine. Objects found in the shop were a bell, various pots, five keys and a few bronze coins. The rear room on the right was the biggest. 
Upon excavation, the walls of the upper rooms were also preserved, one above the rear rooms, the other above the shop-room. This last wall, with pink coloured plaster until the height of approximately 1.50m, unpainted above, and with a large window onto the roadway.  It was evident that these two rooms joined by a doorway between them, formed a separate complex from the rest of the house, and that this could be rented independently from the shop below. See BdI, 1876, (p.44)

VI.14.24 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking west across shop to doorways to two rear rooms.

According to BdI, on the right of the shop entrance in the north-east corner, was a small hearth, and in the same corner was a latrine.

Objects found in the shop were a bell, various pots, five keys and a few bronze coins.

The rear room on the right was the biggest.

Upon excavation, the walls of the upper rooms were also preserved, one above the rear rooms, the other above the shop-room.

This last wall, with pink coloured plaster until the height of approximately 1.50m, unpainted above, and with a large window onto the roadway.

It was evident that these two rooms joined by a doorway between them, formed a separate complex from the rest of the house, and that this could be rented independently from the shop below.

See BdI, 1876, (p.44)