PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

 

Back
Home
Up
Next




VI.13.2 Pompeii. Casa del Gruppo dei Vasi di Vetro.

Linked to VI.13.1, VI.13.3, VI.13.4, VI.13.20 and VI.13.21.

Partially excavated c.1830’s and fully excavated in 1874.

Badly damaged by bombing in 1943. (Strada della Fortuna 49)

Part 1                                                  Part 2

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2005. Entrance doorway. According to Pagano and Prisciandaro, a graffito found in May 1831 on the left pilaster between VI.13.1 and 2, was –
Holconium Priscum
verecundissimum d(ignum) r(ei) p(ublicae) aed(ilem) o(ro) v(os) f(aciatis) dignissimum.  [CIL IV 309]
Found on the right pilaster, between VI.13.2 and 3, painted in red, was – Samellium Modestum iuvenum probum aed(ilem)    [CIL IV 286]
See Pagano, M. and Prisciandaro, R., 2006. Studio sulle provenienze degli oggetti rinvenuti negli scavi borbonici del regno di Napoli.  Naples : Nicola Longobardi. (p.145) PAH III, 119

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2005. Entrance doorway.

According to Pagano and Prisciandaro, a graffito found in May 1831 on the left pilaster between VI.13.1 and 2, was –

Holconium Priscum

verecundissimum d(ignum) r(ei) p(ublicae) aed(ilem) o(ro) v(os) f(aciatis) dignissimum.  [CIL IV 309]

Found on the right pilaster, between VI.13.2 and 3, painted in red, was –

Samellium Modestum iuvenum probum aed(ilem)    [CIL IV 286]

See Pagano, M. and Prisciandaro, R., 2006. Studio sulle provenienze degli oggetti rinvenuti negli scavi borbonici del regno di Napoli.  Naples : Nicola Longobardi.

(p.145) PAH III, 119

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2004. East wall of vestibule and fauces.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2004. East wall of vestibule and fauces.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2004. Atrium and impluvium. On 13th September 1943 at 17.00 hours much damage was done when two bombs landed here. 
One caused the demolition and destruction of three rooms on the west side of the atrium, with a large part of the perimeter wall onto Vicolo del Fauno. The other damaged another three rooms on the south-east side, together with the perimeter wall on the east side.  The south-west of the peristyle was also destroyed together with surrounding areas, including the lararium on the east side.
See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p. 85)

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2004. Atrium and impluvium.

On 13th September 1943 at 17.00 hours much damage was done when two bombs landed here.

One caused the demolition and destruction of three rooms on the west side of the atrium, with a large part of the perimeter wall onto Vicolo del Fauno.

The other damaged another three rooms on the south-east side, together with the perimeter wall on the east side.

The south-west of the peristyle was also destroyed together with surrounding areas, including the lararium on the east side.

See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p. 85)

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2004. Looking north across atrium, through tablinum to peristyle. According to Bragantini in PPP, the threshold of the tablinum was faced with marble.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2004. Looking north across atrium, through tablinum to peristyle.

According to Bragantini in PPP, the threshold of the tablinum was faced with marble.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2004. Looking north from tablinum across peristyle to summer triclinium. On the left is the north-east corner of the tablinum.
According to Bragantini, the floor of cocciopesto had a black and white mosaic around its edge. The border was edged with a black band between two rows of white tesserae.
On the northern end of the east wall, it was still possible to see a small portion of red paint as well as the floor of cocciopesto.
See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1983. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 2. Rome: ICCD. (p.263, tablino ‘8’).

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2004. Looking north from tablinum across peristyle to summer triclinium.

On the left is the north-east corner of the tablinum.

According to Bragantini, the floor of cocciopesto had a black and white mosaic around its edge.

The border was edged with a black band between two rows of white tesserae.

On the northern end of the east wall, it was still possible to see a small portion of red paint as well as the floor of cocciopesto.

See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1983. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 2. Rome: ICCD. (p.263, tablino ‘8’).

 

230481 Bestand-D-DAI-ROM-W.1534.jpg

VI.13.2 Pompeii. W.1534. Drawing of east wall of tablinum, see Zahn II 86.

Photo by Tatiana Warscher. With kind permission of DAI Rome, whose copyright it remains.

See http://arachne.uni-koeln.de/item/marbilderbestand/230481

The painted panel in the centre of the panel on the left showed a cock and chickens.

The painted central panel showed glass bottles, vases, etc.

The painted panel on the right showed a plate of fruits, above a chicken.

According to Breton, the tablinum was paved in mosaic, and the walls decorated with six paintings on a red background.

These showed cocks and chickens, a plate of fruits, and a beautiful group of vases, bottles or glasses, in various forms.

See Breton, Ernest. 1870. Pompeia, Guide de visite a Pompei, 3rd ed. Paris, Guerin.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. 1842. East wall of the tablinum. Detail of painting of glass vases, bottles, etc, from the central panel. See Zahn, W., 1842. Die schönsten Ornamente und merkwürdigsten Gemälde aus Pompeji, Herkulanum und Stabiae: II. Berlin: Reimer. (86).

VI.13.2 Pompeii. 1842. East wall of the tablinum.

Detail of painting of glass vases, bottles, etc, from the central panel.

See Zahn, W., 1842. Die schönsten Ornamente und merkwürdigsten Gemälde aus Pompeji, Herkulanum und Stabiae: II. Berlin: Reimer. (86).

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. September 2005.  Looking south-east towards rear of andron, the east wall of tablinum and oecus, on the right.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. September 2005. 

Looking south-east towards rear of andron, the east wall of tablinum and oecus, on the right.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2007. Looking north from tablinum into remains of peristyle on west side.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. December 2007. Looking north from tablinum into remains of peristyle on west side.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii.  December 2007. Looking north from east side of tablinum towards the summer triclinium, with remains of painted decoration.

VI.13.2 Pompeii.  December 2007.

Looking north from east side of tablinum towards the summer triclinium, with remains of painted decoration.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking north from peristyle into summer triclinium.
According to Bragantini in PPP, the flooring of the triclinium was cocciopesto.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. September 2005. Looking north from peristyle into summer triclinium.

According to Bragantini in PPP, the flooring of the triclinium was cocciopesto.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. September 2005. Summer triclinium, looking north. According to RdSPomp, found on the west wall (on the left) was the painting of Medea and the daughters of Pelias.
This was detached from the west wall and taken to the Naples Museum. 
See Rivista di Studi Pompeiani, XVI, 2005 (p.190) and note 56. 
The west wall would have had a red plinth, and a black zoccolo. In the central aedicula panel would have been a painting of Medea and the daughters of Pelias. The side panels would have been red, separated by narrow yellow compartments painted with silver candelabra design.
See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1983. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 2. Rome: ICCD. (p.263, triclinio ‘20’).

VI.13.2 Pompeii. September 2005. Summer triclinium, looking north.

According to RdSPomp, found on the west wall (on the left) was the painting of Medea and the daughters of Pelias.

This was detached from the west wall and taken to the Naples Museum.

See Rivista di Studi Pompeiani, XVI, 2005 (p.190) and note 56.

The west wall would have had a red plinth, and a black zoccolo.

In the central aedicula panel would have been a painting of Medea and the daughters of Pelias.

The side panels would have been red, separated by narrow yellow compartments painted with silver candelabra design.

See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1983. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 2. Rome: ICCD. (p.263, triclinio ‘20’).

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. May 2010. Wall painting of Medea and the daughters of Pelias, from summer triclinium. Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111477.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. May 2010.

Wall painting of Medea and the daughters of Pelias, from summer triclinium.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111477.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. May 2010. Detail from wall painting in summer triclinium.
Daughters of King Pelias being tricked by Medea, with a magic cauldron.
Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111477.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. May 2010. Detail from wall painting in summer triclinium.

Daughters of King Pelias being tricked by Medea, with a magic cauldron.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111477.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. May 2010. Detail from wall painting in summer triclinium. 
An incredulous Alcestis, is keeping her own counsel. Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111477.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. May 2010. Detail from wall painting in summer triclinium.

An Incredulous Alcestis, is keeping her own counsel.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111477.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. May 2010. Detail from wall painting in summer triclinium. 
Medea, characterised as a priestess of Artemis. Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111477.

VI.13.2 Pompeii. May 2010. Detail from wall painting in summer triclinium.

Medea, characterised as a priestess of Artemis.

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum.  Inventory number 111477.

 

VI.13.2 Pompeii. September 2005. Summer triclinium, looking north. According to Bragantini, upon excavation the north wall was seen with a red plinth and a black zoccolo. The middle zone had a central aedicula panel with a blue background, with painted medallion of a sacred landscape. The side panels were red, separated by narrow black compartments. At the corners, were narrow yellow panels with a design of silver painted candelabra. The frieze had still-lifes of fruit, vases, etc, and the upper zone of the wall was red. The east wall, on the right, was similar to the west wall, with a red plinth and black zoccolo. A central aedicula with blue background had a red predella and a painted sacred landscape. The red side panels were separated by narrow yellow compartments with painted silver candelabra design.
See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1983. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 2. Rome: ICCD. (p.263, triclinio ‘20’).

VI.13.2 Pompeii. September 2005. Summer triclinium, looking north.

According to Bragantini, upon excavation the north wall was seen with a red plinth and a black zoccolo.

The middle zone had a central aedicula panel with a blue background, with painted medallion of a sacred landscape.

The side panels were red, separated by narrow black compartments.

At the corners, were narrow yellow panels with a design of silver painted candelabra.

The frieze had still-lifes of fruit, vases, etc, and the upper zone of the wall was red.

The east wall, on the right, was similar to the west wall, with a red plinth and black zoccolo.

A central aedicula with blue background had a red predella and a painted sacred landscape.

The red side panels were separated by narrow yellow compartments with painted silver candelabra design.

See Bragantini, de Vos, Badoni, 1983. Pitture e Pavimenti di Pompei, Parte 2. Rome: ICCD. (p.263, triclinio ‘20’).

 

 

 

 

Part 2