VI.6.20 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking east at entrance doorway of corner shop.
According to Stefani, this was a large corner sales shop for the bakery at its rear.
On the west wall was a lararium painting with serpent, on the facing wall was a supposed “cross”.
This bakery was called “the bakery of the Christians” (Panificio dei Christiani) because of the relief in stucco, now vanished.
This was found on the east wall of the shop, and was wrongly interpreted as a cross, the symbol of Christianity.
See Stefani, G. (2005): Pompei. Un Panificio: in Cibi e Sapori a Pompei e dintorni, (p.139)
According to Della Corte, discovered in 1813 on the east wall in view of the road, was a panel of white stucco.
On this panel in bas-relief was a Christian cross, although stylised, it was an object of veneration found opposite the pagan lararium.
See Della Corte, M., 1965. Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.115)