Fountain outside II.3.5. September 2005. Looking south-east from Via dell’Abbondanza.
Fountain outside II.3.5. September 2005. Looking south-east.
Fountain outside II.3.5. September 2005.The relief on the fountain pilaster has not been preserved in situ.
According to Parslow, the fountain pilaster or “lava standard” was described by Weber as being decorated with a mask wreathed with clusters of grapes, and found 20th September 1756.
On Weber’s original rough draft of the site from 1757, he described it as being “a mask with clusters of grapes for earrings”.
This detail was completely removed from his final version.
The fountain pilaster, or standard, was removed and transported to the royal villa at Portici.
See Parslow, C.C. (1998). Rediscovering Antiquity: Karl Weber and the Excavation of Herculaneum, Pompeii and Stabiae. UK,Cambridge UP (pp.121,168 and 283)
III.6, III.7.1 and Via dell’Abbondanza at II.3.5. September 2005. Looking east.